The Birth Center in Sacred Pregnancy
Compelling reasons and strategies for choosing to deliver in a facility like the Birth Center are outlined in Birthing in Financially Hard Times. The author mentions our Birth Center specifically, citing how out of hospital, midwife and doula supported births can be affordable.
At the Women's Health & Birth Center, women receive excellent family-centered care in the safest, most nurturing environment possible.
Our Certified Nurse Midwives — registered nurses with advanced training and board certification in pregnancy, childbirth, and gynecology — focus on creating an emotionally satisfying experience of pregnancy and childbirth without unnecessary technological intervention.
Pregnancy and birth are considered a normal condition not an illness. The midwives devote extra time to education and to accommodating the mother's personal needs and desires. We are equipped to handle common complications at the Center and offer state-of-the-art care. Nurse-Midwives are the "Guardians of Normal Birth" and experts at keeping pregnancy and birth normal. We listen to women.
We wish to help reduce the epidemic of unnecessary Cesareans and medical interventions that have been shown to increase risk to women and babies. Routine medical interventions are rampant in the US; Midwives at the Center wisely use medical technology if needed in individual situations. Safety is our primary concern.
Midwifery care has been demonstrated, in research studies, to match the safety records of physician care while avoiding unnecessary technology. We are affiliated with Memorial Hospital in Santa Rosa only 2 miles away. www.midwife.org for more information on Certified Nurse-Midwives and their excellent care.
Care, Support and Respect …
You are in charge of your pregnancy and childbirth options. The Certified Nurse-Midwives are your professional partners with our expertise, resources and equipment at your service. As a client of the Birth Center you can expect:
- A safe birth in a homelike setting without unnecessary medical intervention. Medical interventions available as needed. Obstetricians available at all times. We are an official "Baby Friendly" site which is uncommon for birth facilities/hospitals due to the rigorous standards that need to be met.
- A partnership with your Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNM) in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- Childbirth education, breastfeeding, infant care and car seat classes avaiable for all interested clients and their families.
- Professional support by the CNM and RN that will help reduce anxiety and pain during labor and birth. The CNM is in attendance throughout your entire labor at the birth center.
- An opportunity to experience your pregnancy and childbirth in an emotionally positive way by staff that know you were designed to give birth.
- Home visits by a CNM or an RN are a routine part of our care after your special delivery. Our professional staff are all certified lactation specialists and our founder is the county's most valuable breastfeeding specialist.
- Trained labor assistants (doulas) are available for all WHBC clients at no additional charge
- Nurse-Midwifery care and support even if your situation requires transfer to the hospital.
- Two tubs for relaxation and comfort in labor. Waterbirths offered.
- Exquisitely successful breastfeeding rates, we highly value breastfeeding.
- Homebirths are available for selected clients, please call for a visit to discuss if interested.
- Nurse-midwives are equipped to prescribe medications, repair lacerations if needed, do newborn resuscitations, diagnose and treat complications, collaborate with physicians if needed.
- Accept many private insurances, Medi-Cal and offer self-pay discounts.
For many women and families, the experience of becoming parents is one of the most profound transformations of a lifetime. At the Birth Center, we honor you and your family during this precious time of transition in your lives.
Connect . . .
Facebook page, find out the latest information about the Birth Center, connect with our midwives, nurses and the mothers (and babies) whose Birth Center experiences have changed their lives in profound ways.